Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The downside of jobs that pay the bills: So much ennui!

Okay, so my job(s) are really fine. I like the people I work for and with, and there are different good things about each job I have. However, I don't think I've really found my "calling" yet. And does anyone really ever find their "calling" in the workplace? Sometimes. But I think there are a lot more people who work for the paycheck and get through the day because they have to, at least to a certain degree. I know if I stopped getting a paycheck I wouldn't hang around my jobs just for kicks and giggles.

That said, one of the things I struggle with in my current positions is staying motivated on a day-to-day basis. It's hard for me when I only help 5 customers in the course of a day, or when I'm swamped and just wayyy too tired to deal with people. It's one thing if you truly feel like what you're doing makes a difference or has personal meaning for you...but I'd say with most jobs in any given city, that's not the case.

So here are a few things that help me get through the harder days:

1. Tune out the drama. It is my personal experience that when people are a little bored at work, they tend to...erm...exaggerate perceived "wrongdoings" and loooove to run their mouths about who said what to them and how they're getting their schedule changed because working with so-and-so is just so intolerable. Don't participate in it. It probably contributes to that headache you have at the end of the day.

2. Add to your job description where appropriate. Is there anything your boss possibly wants but has nobody to do? Perhaps she wants a Facebook page for the business, or would like someone to research local advertising opportunities. If you're in a position to offer to help, do so. If she accepts your offer it will give you a much-needed change of pace and something else to put on your resume besides "provided excellent customer service."

3. Could it be that slacking off is making you dislike your job more? Do a good job. Slacking off on the job leads to a lazy attitude, which makes it harder in the long run to get motivated at all. I find that maintaining a certain level of productivity at the very least makes the day go by faster and ensures that my boss remains happy with me as an employee.

4. Don't let your job run your life. Take up a hobby, like blogging ;-). Make sure you have enough social interaction outside of work. Don't talk about work all night at home. Remember, your job is how you make money. It doesn't need to affect much more of your life than that.

5. Pretend you like it. I touched on this in a previous post, but for me, pretending I like my job actually makes it a little less painful on the bad days. I think this has something to do with how much energy it takes to be miserable. I usually give up the fight within the first hour of work.

6. If you really loathe your job, take some steps forward. Start a job search. Or at least update your resume and do a little Googling. Every little step will remind you that you can really choose to leave whenever it's convenient for you. You are by no means ever truly "trapped."

7. Fill your day with something. If you're bored, you're probably going to resort to playing the ol' "I-hate-my-life-right-now-this-is-such-a-waste-of-time" mantra in your head. That's no good. Go ahead, clean that counter for the fourth time today.

8. Don't let someone else ruin your day. Maybe it's your boss, a customer or another coworker who's trying to rain on your parade. Maybe they bring their stress to work precisely so they can dump it on you, or maybe someone is having a really crappy family vacation, and decides that you deserve some of that pent-up frustration. Pardon my French, but screw 'em...politely, of course. You probably don't get paid enough to deal with their problems anyway.

9. Sometimes daydreams are still a girl's best friend. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Forget diamonds. Going somewhere else inside your head when the going gets boring can be just enough of an escape to get you through your shift.

10. Remember, they do pay you. Thankfully, you're not granting anyone any favors. You're performing a series of tasks for pay. If it was free, I'm guessing you wouldn't be there.

Like I said before, the employment I have is fine. It pays my bills (mostly) and it's not like I get 50 lashes upon walking through the door. However, sometimes little annoyances will build up. Some days I'm experiencing a little bit more ennui than others. Whatever the reason, there are days when it bothers me that so much of my day is spent doing something that might not have much meaning at all, doesn't use very many of my personal skills, and doesn't produce much enjoyment for me. Sigh. Alas, I know that some of you have to be in this boat with me. At least we aren't in it alone?

More tips? Comments? Put 'em down there. And don't forget to share this blog with others in the my-job-sometimes-feels-meaningless boat. Have a great night!

2 comments:

  1. "Do a good job. Slacking off on the job leads to a lazy attitude, which makes it harder in the long run to get motivated at all."
    Too bad I am slacking off at work to read your blog right now.

    ReplyDelete