Saturday, April 2, 2011

The internet sees into my soul

I have a new addiction. Well, it's not 100% new...I've always loved taking quizzes in magazines. It all started in middle school with quizzes like "OMG Does He Totally Want to Take You to the Dance?!" which evolved into "Which College Majors are Best for You" which eventually became "Are You Ready to Get Married?" and "What's Your Wedding Style?"

...and now it's "Which Careers Match Your Personality?"

I've taken three of these quizzes so far this week. I know, it's kind of pathetic...but I don't care. I love this crap. However, I've gotten some interesting answers. I always get teaching, to which I say, been there, done that and don't particularly want to go back. Here are some of the better ones I've gotten this week:

Store demonstrator: You know this guy. The one standing in the middle of the department store using Rachel Ray's new line of cookware, or pulverizing food with the Magic Bullet, all the while talking it up and answering people's questions. I wasn't aware that one was "meant to be" a product demonstrator, but apparently I am. Who'da thunk?

Flight attendant: I guess I get this one. I like working with people, I don't mind being in a service position, and I generally am polite and high-energy. However, while I don't mind the occasional flight, I'm mildly terrified of radiation, and the idea of flying all the time really freaks me out. I feel like I might as well just stand in front of the running microwave for a few hours before bed each night (I know, it's not really the same thing...but my fear doesn't care about rational arguments). So I guess this one is out.

Personal fitness trainer: Okay, so again, working with people while trying to help them reach their goals. That sounds fine and dandy...except for the fact that I absolutely loathe working out (at least in a gym). The very sight of a treadmill makes me depressed. My muscles twitch in rebellion whenever I'm within five feet of a weight machine. I wouldn't wish that on anyone...never-the-less be able to motivate someone at the gym. I do have my own way of working out...and it involves a certain Mr. Simmons and my DVD player...don't knock it 'till you try it.

Police officer: Ugh. I don't really know where this one comes from. I don't particularly like to be "the enforcer" nor could I wield a gun with any level of confidence. Eww.

...and then they give me Freelance Writer: Now this one holds water. I've always enjoyed writing. I loved writing stories in elementary school, enjoyed essays (that's right) and any type of creative writing throughout high school, and never minded those 10+ page research papers throughout college. I love words and arranging them for maximum impact or to evoke a certain emotional response...or even just to create a well-supported argument or deliver information. But it would take a while to get going with this one. It's all about networking, creating a client base and building up your portfolio. And where do you begin when you have no portfolio (like me)? And could I really write for hours on end everyday? I like being around people...but I guess it depends on how you choose to schedule your day, really. I do like the idea of being a little flexible with my work schedule...

So, after several fails, including many more that I haven't listed here, the internet sees into my soul. If I'm going to be honest, it might actually be dead-on, 100% correct. Now, I just need to find a quiz called "How to Go About Starting that Freelance Writing Career You've Secretly Always Wanted but Have Been Too Chicken to Pursue Until the Internet Called Your Bluff." Links, anyone?

Comments? Life-planning advice? Nuggets of empathy? Thought-provoking epiphanies? Put all of the above below. And again, for all you over achievers, share the love via links to this blog!


Have a great night :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment