Friday, April 8, 2011

Newsflash: Facebook doesn't care about my "brand," thanks.

Every now and then as I'm looking for jobs, or sometimes even when I'm just cruisin' the internet, I'll get curious and click on those job-search related articles that are always on job websites. The ones I usually go for are of the "10 Things You Are Screwing Up as You Look for Jobs" variety. Who me? Completely messing up my job search? I can't resist it.

Usually it's pretty basic stuff. Tailor your resume for each job you apply to, create a personal cover letter for each job, talk to people who already do the job and build relationships. Easy peasy. However, there's always one more that kinda rubs me the wrong way. The social networking tip.

Now, don't get me wrong, I totally support having a professional online presence and even using social networking to...well...network. You definitely don't want employers to Google your name and find a treasure trove of depravity, just like "liking" relevant professional organizations on Facebook could help build potential employers' confidence in your professionalism. We all know this.

However, I highly doubt that there are tons of HR-ers scouring Facebook for people who have "liked" their company page and then creepin' on their profiles as if it were a resume. I also highly doubt you're going to get a job offer simply because you say intelligent things on Twitter and have a current LinkedIn page. But there are several articles I've read that would disagree. Some have even gone so far to say that Facebook profiles will be used in place of resumes within the next few years. I don't think we're headed there quite yet.

Or at least I hope we aren't! I want to feel free to post stupid videos on my wall whenever I want. I want to be able to creep on your vacation pictures even though I haven't spoken to you in five years. I might even want to read your emo-lyric-status-updates every now and then. I don't want to feel like everything I do on the internet has to reinforce my personal brand that I'm trying to sell to employers. Sometimes, a girl just wants to have fun and network with her friends, not recruiters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Facebook and LinkedIn had a baby, I might create a profile for employers. That wouldn't be so bad...just as long as Facebook is still the fun parent and keeps all of its privacy settings ;-).

Comments? Down there. Know someone who might enjoy this post? Share it! And, as always, have a great night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment