Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bullies invade the workplace, teenager style

In the last couple years I've been re-introduced to the world of the teenager. Throughout my student teaching, my actual teaching, my contact with the teens at my church, and my 16-year-old sister's group of friends, I've been a little taken aback by just how cruel young people can be. The small remarks, the occasional sarcastic facebook wall post, and the relentless talking behind each other's backs--you know what I'm talking about--it's exhausting. I find myself wondering, when will they grow out of all of this?
 
Well, the answer for some is unfortunately never. I've been hearing a lot of stories from friends, and even have some of my own (not in any of my current jobs) about grown-up mean girls and boys in the workplace. And apparently it's not just common in my circle of friends. A careerbuilder.com survey found that 34% of  adult women and 22% of adult men are being "bullied" at work. That sounds crazy! But take a look at their list of defining criteria for bullying...you might be able to check off a few yourself...
 
1. Your comments have been dismissed or not acknowledged.
2. You have been falsely accused of statements you didn't make.
3. You have been harshly criticized.
4. You have been forced into doing work that isn't really your job.
5. Different standards/policies have been used for you than other workers.
6. You have been given mean looks.
7. Others have gossiped about you.
8. Your boss yelled at you in front of other coworkers.
9. Belittling comments have been made about your work in front of others.
10. Someone else took credit for work you did.
 
...Yikes. I've definitely had 1, 4, 6, and I suspect 7 done to me at a previous job (thank goodness I haven't had any problems at my current jobs). At this previous job I was working in a high-stress environment that, instead of emphasizing teamwork let chatter about who's-mad-at-who and overly-dramatic-and-totally-stressed-out attitudes rule the roost. I can think of a face for every single criterion on this list--and that's sad. I'd like to say that I've heard so much about this happening because I know a lot of young people working in places where people are generally dissatisfied with their jobs...and that's part of it...but I can also think of professionals working in places where employees enjoy their work and are not "bored" who have definitely experienced a few of the misfortunes on this list--some several times.
 
This is one of those things that us Generation Y-ers are supposedly fed up with. I've blogged quite a bit about today's twenty and thirty-somethings' apparent dissatisfaction with the "traditional" workplace...and this is one of those things that keeps coming up. I've seen it referred to as the drama of office politics, or underhanded/unprofessional behavior in the workplace--and there are Generation Y workers seeing alternative career paths because of it. Yet, in around half of the stories of workplace bullying I've heard about, the perpetrator is a young Generation Y-er...and I hate to say that we're getting a bit of a negative reputation as gossiping, tactless individuals, especially among those older than us (35 or so and up). I'd like to see some sort of stats published on the topic--I want to know how many Gen Y bullies there are out there versus how many wonderfully professional young people--because I really want to believe that we're no meaner than past generations. I've seen workplace bullying by 20-year-olds and 50-year-olds alike.
 
Regardless, it affects how I view the workplace. I'm always careful to keep coworkers out of my circle of friends. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but after seeing so much workplace bullying at that previous job, it's just more comfortable for me that way. I'm also that possibly pretentious coworker who will ask to change the subject when workplace gossip starts to run amuk. It's just the way I'm most comfortable dealing with it--I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut in the face of put-downs. I'm happiest, however, when I'm able to avoid the drama altogether. I get a little antsy when I realize that a coworker has pegged me as someone they're comfortable gossiping to. That's no good in my book.
 
Do you percieve workplace bullying teenager-style as a real problem? How do you deal? Put it below :-). And, for all you overachievers, don't forget to share this link! Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment