Monday, May 2, 2011

Why your job should be like sex

Happy Monday, and Happy May! Maybe it's finally spring after all...

So, I've talked to a few friends lately who have questioned the concept of "making it" with your career. I've questioned that whole idea as well, especially recently. Do we ever truly arrive in a career or in life in general? I don't know too many people who are completely satisfied in either of these areas. However, I do think that we can be satisfied enough. We can reach a point where we think, things could be better, and perhaps I'll still strive for that, but really I'm doing pretty darn well and I wouldn't be too torn up if things stayed this way.

But that raises the question of creating a way to tell when you're there...or even close to there. I'm the kind of person who is always hesitant to just sit back and enjoy, because what if there's something better for those willing to work a little harder? I'll never know unless I try...

You can see the problem unfolding. Ironically enough, by assuming that I can be "satisfied enough," I automatically feel the need to simultaneously reach the point of "enough" and exceed it, just in case there's something better to be had. Yeah, I have a hard time with the concept of enough. But I did some thinking this morning and came up with an analogy that helps me out--if you're even half as neurotic as me, perhaps you'll appreciate it too :-)

A good career situation is like good sex. Go with me here...

1.  You're finding ways to keep it fresh. 


Like good sex, you need ways to jazz up your job every now and ten. I think if your career has room for innovation and fresh ideas, you've got a pretty good gig. If you feel like there are no opportunities to freshen your routine, you're probably not going to be happy with your job for very long.

2. It captivates you.


While you're working, you're in "the zone." You're not thinking about everything you have to do after work (or that you wish you were doing instead). You're focused, in the moment, and enjoying yourself--at least a good majority of the time. You might even think about it when you're not at work...

3. You are regularly rewarded. 


Ahem. Like sex, your job should, erm, satisfy you. You should be recognized for your work in one way or another and have some kind of reward you deem appropriate. Whether that's monetary, or respect and accolade amongst colleagues, it needs to be something that works for you.

4. You see the importance in the routine. 


Obviously there are times in your career where things will get a little rote or dull. You'll find slumps. The important thing is that you still see the value in doing your work and are able to work through and eventually move out of your slumps. Sometimes things will get routine, but it's still important to, umm, "do it."

5. It enhances your life goals and who you want to be.


Just like sex has the ability to enhance a relationship, your career should enhance who you are. It should be something that draws out qualities that you like to see in yourself, and that challenges you to be who you want to be. It should be a good thing for your development as a person...just like sex should be good for the development of your relationship.

Hopefully, those little analogies weren't as awkward for you as they were for me (hi, mom ;-) ). As always, have a great night!

You know you want to comment on this one. And don't forget to share this link for extra brownie points! 

1 comment: