Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm feeling like a contestant on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"

Okay, so a bit of an update first. As many of you regular readers know, I have an "official" (yeah, that's right) plan for the ol' job search. The move will probably happen August-ish, and in the meantime I'll be doing two things. First, I'll be looking for a part-time job where we're moving--this part is pretty flexible. I'm really not going to turn my nose up at anything that pays around what I'm making at the part-time jobs now. But secondly, and more importantly, I'm going to be building up my freelance writing to a legitimate part-time workload. It's a bit crazy right now because I'm obviously working 40 hours a week, aaand applying for writing jobs, aaand finding time to write for the jobs I'm getting. However, the most challenging part of it all is the sheer amount of rejections I receive. It's hard when you're writing online because you find your leads on job boards that are...well...online (and available to the whole wide world). Each rejection feels like wasted time--it takes a while to find leads and create writing samples if I don't already have a sample laying around that's appropriate for the client.
 
However, I know that this is all part of the nature of all things freelance. Yeah, I'll be able to find a "niche" someday where I'm more likely to get jobs, but I don't have that yet. I'm kinda just applying to anything that I know I could deliver on. In a weird way it reminds me of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"...
 
Oh yeah, you know the show. All I'm saying is that starting a new career isn't all that different than being on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Here's what I mean...
 
1. It's all made out to be very scary--perhaps scarier than necessary. 
 
You remember the dark studio with the eerie bluish lighting. The audience seated around a small circular stage with only a remarkably exposed desk-thing for the contestant to sit at. You get "life lines" which implies that it's so darn hard you won't be able to do it alone...and then Regis would always ask, very dramatically, "Is that your final answer?" I guess I liken the eerie lighting and the this-is-a-life-or-death-situation mood of the show with the whole dog-eat-dog way we talk about starting a new career. There are countless blogs out there about how to shake an interviewer's hand correctly, and what color lipstick is appropriate for a job interview, you'd think that if you wear the wrong underwear while you edit your resume you're doomed to lifelong unemployment. Weird, I know--it's just the vibe I'm getting.
 
2. It's pretty easy to feel like you've lost it all. 
 
Remember those people...they'd be crazy high up on the list of questions, maybe even at the million dollar question, without any lifelines left...and they'd screw it up! Remember what would happen then? They'd leave with like $500,000, or some benchmark amount far less than what they were going for, but still A LOT of money. However, some of those guys would straight up cry at the end of the episode, Regis looking on with perfect TV compassion. While the majority of Americans don't like their jobs, the majority of Americans still have houses, food, and pretty okay lives. All I'm saying is that sometimes it's hard for me to get another rejection email from a potential freelance client...but then again I have gotten a couple jobs, and have two part-time jobs that really aren't so bad. It's hard when you get thisclose to the million, but $500,000 really aint too shabby. 
 
3. The lifelines really can make you...or break you.
 
Okay, so if a question comes up about Major League Baseball, and Uncle Joey (just noticed the subconscious Full House reference after I typed that...) happens to be a sports buff extrordinaire, use your phone a friend! But if it's a question about fashion design, maybe Uncle Joey isn't your guy this time around. Career experts are always talking about utilizing your network...which is great...unless Pricilla, your 3rd cousin twice removed, thinks she knows a perfect solution to your predicament. You get the idea.
 
Just a thought in my odd little mind--Have a great night!
 
Don't forget to comment if you have thoughts to share! Feel free to share this link with anyone you think might be interested. Oh, and if you're feeling ready for some new TSA horror stories, check out this article I wrote: TSA = Totally Senseless Acts

No comments:

Post a Comment