Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My love affair with productive procrastination.

I'm going to be blunt. Today I'm having one of those days where all I want to do is run and hide from my responsibilities. I think I have a cycle. It goes a little something like this:

1. I start at normal. My days are filled mostly with work-type stuff (actual work, chores, etc.) but nicely balanced with some fun--perhaps an episode of Glee at the end of the day, some hubby time or a conversation with a friend. These are good days.

2. I realize normal aint gettin schtuff done and haul it. I raise my expectations of myself. These are the days I get up, clean the entire apartment, go to work, come home, produce like 3 freelance articles and sass just about everyone I encounter because I'm so "stressed."

3. I crack. This step usually involves a very loving chiding from hubby to the tune of, "You're crazy. Stop it. Go to sleep." I realize he's right and lay in bed with cookie dough ice cream.

4. I languish in my relaxation and avoid things I don't absolutely have to do. If anyone has ever Facebooked me and waited about a week for a response, step 4 is the culprit. I unplug and do whatever the heck I want, and eventually go kicking and screaming back into normalcy.

I'm hard core "step 4-ing it" right now. I don't even want to check my email. Today I went to such lengths as donning my bathing suit for a waterfall hike with hubby, going to 3 grocery stores so I could get the supplies for vegan mac and cheese (and we're not even vegan...or vegetarian for that matter), and suddenly deciding I needed to learn how to curl my hair with a flat iron, all to avoid a few simple tasks I needed to get done around the house...aaand some stuff having to do with that whole moving and finding a new job thing...aaand some freelance writing stuff...let's just say the list might be on the long-ish side. There's also a sink full of dishes glaring at me from the kitchen, and an overflowing hamper of laundry juuust making the corner of my peripheral vision as I type this. That's what hubby's for, right? Kidding. Kind of. 


I will say this: I am definitely a productive procrastinator. I hiked, grocery shopped, cooked and got glamorous today. Not too shabby.

Anyway, while wasting yet more time on the internet, I found an interesting little thing in the NPR archives...perhaps my testosterone levels are to blame for my lack of drive? Maybe this cycle coincides with another..ahem...cycle? Anyway, we're quickly merging on to the TMI highway. I'll spare you. If you're interested in reading about testosterone, initiative and consequential career choices clickity-clack that link. Here it is again in case you're too lazy to scroll (it's all part of step 4...don't be ashamed).

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment